Petrie Island Master Plan (July 1998) – Cumberland Township Planning Department. Background and issue paper. Also includes terms of reference from the Region and a bibliography of material. N.B. There are references to a future marina on the east side of Petrie Island. The City of Ottawa has no plans and no money to develop this marina, so it is unlikely to happen.
Ottawa River Water Quality (1992) – RMOC surface water quality report. Includes detailed information on pollutants at various locations on the river. [In the summer of 1999, water samples from 8 locations along the north shore of Petrie Island were tested and found to be within acceptable limits for swimming.]
Brunton, D. F. 1995. Petrie Island wetland, in, Life Science Areas of Natural and Scientific Interest in Site District 6E-12: A Review and Assessment of Significant Natural Areas. [Unpublished draft report], Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, Kemptville
Brownell, V. and C.S. Blaney. 1997. Petrie Island (Site 47), in, Summary Natural Area reports for Natural Areas east of the Rideau River. Planning and Development Approvals Department Report 28-08a, Regional Municipality of Ottawa-Carleton, Ottawa.
Wharves of Prescott-Russell – “The Four Rivington Wharves, Cumberland Village: The Island was first granted to Captain Archibald Petrie who became a local politician. He never developed the Island. A deed from 1913 indicates that the Petrie Island was resold by the Crown to a Mr. Deschambault. A plan showing the entire island reveals no wharf at the time. A 1918 map (Cumberland Museum) indicates a quarry operated by the Rivington family. There were at least 4 concrete horizontal wharves in the bay near Petrie Island used to ship sand by barges. The wharves were probably abandoned in 1925. The quarry still exists today on the island. Ruins of the concrete wharves can still be seen.” The author, Jean-Francois Beaulieu, states in the Cumberland Historical Society website, “In 1918, the Rivington family owned four concrete wharves at Petrie Island on the Ottawa River. The wharves were used to ship sand from the Rivington quarry located on the Island. Wharf remains still exist today and can be seen sticking out of the water. The commercial navigation officially ended in 1925.”. Cited from Beaulieu, Jean-François, The Forgotten Wharves of the United Counties of Prescott-Russell, OAS Web Site, Chapters Of The Past. (Hardcopy CTHS Collection) 1997.
(see also the links page for links to other organizations).
One thought on “Documents”
Comments are closed.