Friends of Petrie Island Information (naturalists, hiking trails)
The Friends of Petrie Island operate an interpretive center, special events tent and maintain the trail system. We do NOT operate the beach or the parking lots. We do NOT know about public events on the beach. See the box below for City of Ottawa contacts.
You can also find out more information online here:
Like us on Friends of Petrie Island Facebook
Post photos on our Facebook Group
Friends of Petrie Island Twitter- @PetrieIsland
NEW- Friends of Petrie Instagram- dailyPetrie
Friends of Petrie Island Committee Members and Staff
|Steve Rollwage||At Large|
|David Redmond||At Largefirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Gil LeBlanc||At Large|
|Mike Lussier||At Large|
|Sarah Kennedy||At Large|
|Emie Gaboury||Coordinator of Staff, Volunteers, and Membershipsemail@example.com|
|Emma Meek||Children’s Program Managerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
For further information on joining the Friends of Petrie Island, please contact chairman Al Tweddle at 824-1188.
This site is maintained by David Villeneuve and Paul Le Fort. If you have any comments or suggestions, please e-mail me . We would appreciate receiving any documents pertaining to Petrie Island, or suggestions for links.
Map of Petrie Island
City of Ottawa Information (beach, parking, events)
The City of Ottawa operates the beach and parking, and handles group reservations.
FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE SWIMMING BEACH, PARKING, GROUP USE, OR OTHER PUBLIC USE ISSUES, PLEASE CALL THE CITY OF OTTAWA:
3-1-1 or (613) 580-2400
FOR PICNIC AREA 4 RESERVATIONS, THE NUMBER TO CALL IS (613) 580-2595
For events on the beach (e.g. Canada Day, Carivibe, volleyball), contact the City of Ottawa at the numbers above.
Book your event at the beach. Contact City Wide Allocations at 613-580-2595 or e-mail email@example.com.
For swimming conditions, see our water quality page.
Links to Other Sites
- City of Ottawa
- Rideau Valley Conservation Authority
- Ottawa Field Naturalists Club
- Ottawa Duck Club
- National Capital Region Wildlife Festival
- Fallingbrook Community Association
- Queenswood Heights Community Assocation
- Petrie Island Ice Fishing
- Ottawa River information (water levels, dams)
- Ottawa Riverkeeper
- Ottawa Forests and Greenspace Advisory Committee
- Ottawa Stewardship Council
- Fletcher Wildlife Garden
- Adopt a pond program
- Les Amis du Parc de la Gatineau./ Friends of Gatineau Park
- Turtle S.H.E.L.L. Tortue
- Taxonomy system (look up common or scientific names of plants or animals)
- Councillor Matthew Luloff https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/mayor-and-city-councillors/matthew-luloff
- Councillor Steven Blais
- MPP Marie-France Lalonde
- Cumberland Historical Society
- Cumberland Museum
- Information on boat launches on the Ottawa River
- Petrie Island Bait and Tackle Shop (841-0778, www.oziles.com) has a motor boat launch ($8), rents peddle boats and small motor boats, and will store boats over the winter. They also sell fishing accessories. They are on the east side of Trim Road on the island, before the causeway. Canoes and kayaks can be launched for free from the picnic area parking lot. There is a canoe launch pier on the west side of the main parking lot.
- Ontario Trillium Foundation – The Friends of Petrie Island gratefully acknowledges the financial support
of the Ontario Trillium Foundation, an agency of the Ministry of Culture.“With $100 million in annual funding from the province’s charitable gaming initiative, the Foundation provides grants to eligible charitable and not-for-profit organizations in the arts, culture, sports, recreation, environment
and social service sectors.”