Friends of Petrie Island Information (naturalists, hiking trails)
The Friends of Petrie Island operate an interpretive center, special events tent and maintain the trail system. We do NOT operate the beach or the parking lots. We do NOT know about public events on the beach. See the box below for City of Ottawa contacts.
You can also find out more information online here:
Like us on Friends of Petrie Island Facebook
Post photos on our Facebook Group
Friends of Petrie Island Twitter- @PetrieIsland
NEW- Friends of Petrie Instagram- dailyPetrie
Friends of Petrie Island Executive
|Allen Tweddle||Director, Presidentemail@example.com|
|Paul LeFort||Director, Vice-president/Secretary|
|Steve Rollwage||Director, Treasurerfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sherry Nigro||Director, Engagement/ Communicationsemail@example.com|
|WIlliam Fauteux||At large|
|Gil LeBlanc||At Large|
|Mike Lussier||At Large|
|Sarah Kennedy||At Large|
|Coordinator of Staff, Volunteers, and Membershipsfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Children’s Program Manageremail@example.com|
For further information on joining the Friends of Petrie Island, please contact chairman Al Tweddle at 824-1188 or come see us at work any Wednesday morning in season.
This site is maintained by D. Villeneuve. S. Nigro and P. Le Fort. If you have any comments or suggestions, please e-mail me . We would appreciate receiving any documents pertaining to Petrie Island, or suggestions for links.
Map of Petrie Island
City of Ottawa Information (beach, parking, events)
The City of Ottawa operates the beach and parking, and handles group reservations.
FOR INFORMATION ABOUT THE SWIMMING BEACH, PARKING, GROUP USE, OR OTHER PUBLIC USE ISSUES, PLEASE CALL THE CITY OF OTTAWA:
3-1-1 or (613) 580-2400
FOR PICNIC AREA 4 RESERVATIONS, THE NUMBER TO CALL IS (613) 580-2595
For events on the beach (e.g. Canada Day, Carivibe, volleyball), contact the City of Ottawa at the numbers above.
Book your event at the beach. Contact City Wide Allocations at 613-580-2595 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
For swimming conditions, see our water quality page.
Links to Other Sites
- City of Ottawa
- Rideau Valley Conservation Authority
- Ottawa Field Naturalists Club
- Ottawa Duck Club
- Petrie Island Canoe Club
- Fallingbrook Community Association
- Queenswood Heights Community Assocation
- Ottawa River information (water levels, dams)
- Ottawa Riverkeeper
- Ottawa Stewardship Council
- Les Amis du Parc de la Gatineau./ Friends of Gatineau Park
- Councillor Matthew Luloff https://ottawa.ca/en/city-hall/mayor-and-city-councillors/matthew-luloff
- Cumberland Historical Society
- Cumberland Museum
- Petrie Island Bait and Tackle Shop (841-0778, www.oziles.com) has a motor boat launch ($8), rents peddle boats and small motor boats, and will store boats over the winter. They also sell fishing accessories. They are on the east side of Trim Road on the island, before the causeway. Canoes and kayaks can be launched for free from the picnic area parking lot. There is a canoe launch pier on the west side of the main parking lot.
- Ontario Trillium Foundation – The Friends of Petrie Island gratefully acknowledges the financial support
of the Ontario Trillium Foundation, an agency of the Ministry of Culture.“With $100 million in annual funding from the province’s charitable gaming initiative, the Foundation provides grants to eligible charitable and not-for-profit organizations in the arts, culture, sports, recreation, environment
and social service sectors.”