The Friends of Petrie Island (FOPI) is a group formed in November 1997 with its constitution was approved in October 1998. It was incorporated in 2002. The volunteer organization consists of a 10-person executive which holds regular meetings the third Tuesday of each month, except in high summer, as well as a fall general meeting.
Information on becoming a member of Friends of Petrie Island is here. The yearly membership fee is $10.
THE ORGANIZATION IS DEDICATED TO:
* Education of the public about the importance of preserving Petrie Island as a natural area to be enjoyed by future generations.
* Preservation of Petrie Island ecology, a Carolinian forest environment made possible by local microclimatic conditions, usually associated with areas of southern Ontario.
* Protection of Petrie Island’s flora and fauna, including turtle habitat and nesting areas and over 130 bird species as well as a rich amphibian, reptile and fish habitat.
You can support our work by taking part in projects or becoming a member. Members receive regular dispatches on upcoming events.
- Become a member ($10/yr), or make a donation
- Help out on work days or as a monitor
- Help with fundraising
- Play a part in the interpretive program
- Be a guide for a tour
- Gather background material or assemble displays