Volunteering and Membership with Friends of Petrie Island
There are various ways you can help or get involved. We can use more hands to get the maintenance and improvement work done, and we would benefit from volunteers who want to help with the native wildflower garden or natural history interpretation/walks. Joining Friends of Petrie Island also helps – details about Membership below the Volunteering Section.
We can also use any relevant information you might have about the islands, their history, geology, plants and animals, and photographs.
Get Involved by:
- Becoming a Friend of Petrie Island for $10 per year (see details below)
- Join us at one of the spring cleanups and open houses
- Attend one of the regular monthly meetings to share your ideas and support
- Supporting the Friends work on the island with a donation made at the Nature Centre (or sent in to the Chair)
- Attend the annual general meeting and learn about FOPI activities
- Become a regular volunteer with the Wednesday Work Crew or help out when you can with the Biodiversity Crew.
- Come to the island on a summer weekend and share your adventure/photos with us
- Consider a family membership to enjoy membership discounts and special events
For further information please contact the chairman of Friends of Petrie Island, Al Tweddle at 824-1188, or send him e-mail.
Volunteering with Friends of Petrie Island
There are many opportunities to volunteer with the Friends of Petrie Island. Each spring there are weekend clean-ups in partnership with Ecology Ottawa to clean up the garbage left by the flooding river. Or if you are newly graduated and looking to increase your skills or newly retired and looking to keep active outdoors, come out and help with maintenance work or wildscaping Wednesday mornings (May-October).
Impromptu clean-ups when you visit are always welcome! Do a family clean-up on the island one weekend. Garbage bags are available at the centre. Pick up any trash that you see on the trails. And tell us where you’ve cleaned up – we appreciate your help!
Do you have a special skill such as painting, teaching, star-gazing, story-telling or are you a keen naturalist? Let’s talk about how this skill can help with FOPI’s goals!
Support Petrie Island by Becoming a Friend
The Friends of Petrie Island volunteers operate the interpretive centre, special events tent (available for rental) and interpretive programs and maintain the trail system in the Grandmaitre Ecological Reserve so that all who visit can enjoy this unique natural gem in the City of Ottawa. Membership funding supports our nature programs, educational literature and displays and the work of the Friends of Petrie Island and also provides discounts so that you can get the most out of your visits to the ecological reserve.
Membership is $10 for an individual and $25 for a family.
– discounts on tent rentals
– discounts on organized tours
– special members-only events
– monthly emailed dispatches from the island
– occasional bulletins about conditions/happenings on the island
– opportunity to participate, volunteer and meet other members
If you are interested in becoming a membern please fill out the FOPI Membership Form and bring it into the Nature Centre or mail to: Al Tweddle, 1395 Sault Street, Ottawa, ON K1E 1G8