Petrie Island beaches are operated by the City of Ottawa.
There are two large public beaches on the northeast corner of the island. One is the North Beach or River Beach, the other is the East Bay Beach, facing downriver. Public parking for 320 vehicles is provided (parking fee is $2 for 5 hours, 7:00-18:00, 7 days a week). The picnic area maintained by Friends of Petrie Island also has a supervised beach, in a more shaded area, with a play area for small children.
- All of the City of Ottawa’s beaches are open and supervised between the Victoria Day weekend and the third week of August.
- The beaches are operated by the City of Ottawa and are supervised by lifeguards from noon to 7 pm, 7 days a week.
- Public washrooms are open Monday to Thursday 10:30 am – 9 PM, Friday to Sunday 10:30 am – 7 PM, between Victoria Day weekend and Labour Day weekend.
- There are no change rooms available.
- Water fountains are in the pavilion and a canteen sells an assortment of food and drinks.
- Parking: $2 for 5 hours, enforced from Victoria Day to Labour Day weekends, from 9 AM to 5 PM.
- For further information, call the City of Ottawa’s general information line at 311.
Water quality is monitored daily by the City of Ottawa for coliform and e-coli bacteria. For water quality information, call 613-580-2424 ext. 13219 or visit the City of Ottawa website. The information is updated at noon daily, based on the previous day’s water samples. A no-swimming advisory will be issued if bacteria levels are over 200 E. coli per 100 ml of water tested or if they are over 100 E. coli per 100 ml of water tested on two or more consecutive days, or if there is 20 mm of rain. The city maintains recent water quality statistics. Click here for further information on the water quality issue.