Looking for a way to take your curriculum out in the field? Planning a birthday party or year end outing? Just looking for a fun and educational activity for your children’s group?
Come on an adventure to the wild side of Petrie Island to enjoy a morning or afternoon in the great outdoors! The Friends of Petrie Island run tours as soon as we open for the season until the end of August. Field trips involve a rotation through four stations: a tour of the Nature Center, a nature walk, a scavenger hunt and a free time period. Tours runs for about 2 hours and the fee is $5 per child (no charge for adults).
10:00 – Arrive at the island, disembark from the bus, washroom break
10:05 – Walk from the bus to the nature centre and put away backpacks under the picnic shelter
10:15 – Divide into groups for the activities
10:20 – Rotation One: guided nature walk down the turtle trail
10:40 – Rotation Two: nature scavenger hunt
11:00 – Snack break
11:20 – Rotation Three: Free time
11:40 – Rotation Four: Nature centre tour (includes live turtles, snakes, and frogs)
12:00 – Program ends
The tours are adapted to the age and preferences of the group.
Special projects such as cleanup or removal of invasive species can also be accommodated.
To book a tour or if you have any questions: email@example.com
Adult tours are also available.
Join us for hands-on themed education sessions on the ecology of Petrie Island, tailored for your child’s age and interests. Programming runs for approximately 1.5- 2 hours. See below for dates and themes. Become an official Young Naturalist of Petrie Island!!
- Preschool Naturalist program, (ages 2 – 5)
- Junior Naturalist program (ages 7 – 9)
- Youth Naturalist (ages 10 – 12)
- Sessions can be arranged for clubs, home schooled, birthday parties and youth groups.
Registration: Young Naturalists
For information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
You can sign up for multiple sessions in advance, at a reduced rate. Put your name on the e-mail list for the 2019 season.
Fees per child:
$20 for unlimited sessions
$10 for three sessions (plus $3 for each additional session)
$5 for a drop-in
Fill out the Naturalist Pre-Registration Form and bring it into the Nature Centre to be added to the list of Pre-Registered Naturalists.
Pre-school Naturalist (Ages 2-5)
- Tuesday 10:30am – 12:00pm
- Thursday 10:30am – 12:00pm
Junior Naturalist (Ages 6-9)
- Tuesday 1:30pm – 3:00pm
- Thursday 5:30pm – 7:00pm
Youth Naturalist (ages 10-12)- pending registration
This year’s Naturalist program will run through July and August. The themes are as follows:
- Tuesday July 2 – Turtles
- Tuesday July 9 – Birds
- Tuesday July 16 – All About Water
- Tuesday July 23 – Frogs
- Tuesday July 30 – Snails, Snakes & Spiders
- Tuesday August 6 – Fossils and Dinosaurs
- Tuesday August 13 – Bugs
- Tuesday August 20 – Mammals
- Tuesday August 27 – Gardening Wonderland
- Thursday July 4 – Fossils and Dinosaurs
- Thursday July 11 – Bugs
- Thursday July 18 – Mammals
- Thursday July 25 – Gardening Wonderland
- Thursday August 1 – All About Water
- Thursday August 8 – Turtles
- Thursday August 15 – Birds
- Thursday August 22 – Fish
- Thursday August 29 – Frogs
Bilingual instructors available
email: email@example.com for any questions